Translate

21 February 2016

Marcus Fraser has secured his third victory on the European Tour winning the inaugural Maybank Championship in Malaysia.


Marcus Fraser has secured his third victory on the European Tour winning the inaugural Maybank Championship in Malaysia.
After shooting a final round of 3-under 68, Fraser ended regulation play on 15-under 269, two shots clear of 21-year-old Soomin Lee from Korea and Miguel Tabuena from the Philippines.
The final round saw a tough battle between Fraser and Lee, who held the overnight lead. It wasn't until an unfortunate double bogey on the par 4 16th that Lee's game started to fade, followed by a second on the final hole. 
Fraser drilled an uphill left-right putt on the 18th to claim the victory and his first win since 2010.
"My last two putts were unbelievable. I was pretty nervous on 17; I don't know how I held onto the putter just trying to stand over that one on the last. Luckily it made contact somewhere near where it was supposed to and went in the hole. I'm gobsmacked at the moment, but it feels great," said Fraser.
"In the back of my head I felt like I had a chance. Soo is quite young and it's a big thing to be leading a European Tour event with three or four holes to go."
"I just tried to keep reminding myself to breath and play my own game and see what I could do. I hit a pretty ordinary shot on 17, it wasn't a bad shot into 18 but didn't quite catch and it came up in the rough on a bit of a tricky lie."
Fraser produced a week of superb golf carding only two bogeys across all four rounds and a short game that was completely in-tune with the Royal Selangor Golf Club layout.
However, it was a surprise win for the boy from Corowa who has felt like his game just hasn't been there, describing his recent form as moronic.
"I went to the Middle East and did some practise before I left and everything felt ok, then I got to the Middle East and it was the worst three weeks of golf I've played in my career."
"I went home and did some good practice, back to the basics, and just tried to sort things out from the start and everything just fell into place as the week went on."
"A lot of putts found their way into the hole and it was certainly my week."
Nathan Holman, who held both the first and second round lead, couldn't rekindle his early opening form after ending round three with a double bogey on 18. The Victorian struggle with the putter in the final round to end his week on 10-under and outright eighth.
Other Australian to make the weekend included Sam Brazel who finished the week on 1-over (T57), Kalem Richardson 4-over (T65) and Andrew Dodt 5-over (T67).
- See more at: http://www.pga.org.au/news/international/2016/european-tour/fraser-wins-maybank-championship#sthash.ykVWkyFW.dpuf








Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED