Translate

17 July 2013

The Confessions of A Female Eating Machine in Kuala Lumpur

I just spent a few nights in Kuala Lumpu Malaysia where I always stay at the Westin KL, as its just opposite my favourite shopping mall - The Pavillion KL. Once back from shopping, I always enjoy the excellent local food served at the hotel restaurants. The Living Room Restaurant at Westin KL must have some of the best local delights, I am very sure they serve one of the best nasi lemak in KL


Westin KL's Nasi Lemak ( I had to take a bite before taking the picture cos it looked so gooooood!!!

On this visit to KL  I decided to accept an  invitation from a food buddy of mine to visit some places to experience some of Malaysia's non halal cuisine.

On the first day I challenged him to take me to the best Curry Mee place: He did not fail me. For travellers to KL, I strongly recommend  Restaurant 168, on Jalan Pudu, Kuala Lumpur for the most tasty n authentic Curry Mee that i ever tasted.




The curry soup is not as creamy as most places but the fragrant from the coconut n spice used had me slurp up to the last spoonful. One can opt for extra ingredients to be added to the dish and I asked for extra half-fat char siew n cockles to be added. I also opted for mee hoon for less carbs and it payed off. The mee hoon soaked up the curry and was so tasty to the last strand. 





Special mention has to be given to the char siew, it was surprising made to high standard even through it was not a roast meat stall. The meat was BBQ'd to a wonderful texture, anda added an extra oomph to the dish. If you don't fancy Char Siew, the standard dish comes with shredded chicken, but I strongly urge you to try the char siew, you will not regret the wonderful succulent meat melting in your mouth. This particular stall also adds "pig skin" to its' dish and when you bite into the skin, you are instantly transported to seventh heaven.....


A  must try if you are a curry mee lover.....



On my Second Day in the lovely city of Kuala Lumpur i was taken on another food adventure by my Malaysian food buddy to search for the best Char Siew 


I am a great lover of Char Siew and have tasted Char Siew all around the world (Sg, Hong Kong, China, London, Australia , USA) and none came close to the sensational taste of the char siew  at Meng Kee Restaurant at Jalan Ulu Kelang after the Flamingo Hotel. 


The meat was caramelised on the skin to the right degree that it still kept the meat tender n moist. This is no easy feat, A tip when ordering char siew, order the one with more fat as when it is roasted  the oil from the pork belly will permeate the meat with the juice, thus making it taste tender and juicy.. If you order the normal cut which is leaner, The meat will be just a touch more tough but it still will be yummy.






I also ordered the intestine sausage. it can only be described in one word it was a KILLER! The sausage tasted like BBQ meat slice but times 50.  It was that good. One must try it to experience the "killer" taste I am talking about.


On the third day of my stay in Kuala Lumpur , my food buddy took a bet that i was going to taste on of the best Char Kway Teow ever. He took me to Kepong to the H,L. Yee Restaurant 
Usually, Chay Kway Teow is a hard dish to master. One must get the right balance of "wok", lard, and skill to make the perfect dish. I was lucky enough to taste one of the most outstanding CKT during this trip to KL. 






The secret to this CKT is the duck egg. According to some, duck egg is more tasty than chicken and I think they are right. I can taste the subtle taste of the duck egg, and it was more fragrant than normal eggs. This dish has the right balance between the favor and texture, it was not too oily, not too sweet and not too heavy. What I enjoy most was the generous serving of fresh prawns and bean  sprouts. The sprouts and fresh prawns added extra crunch to the KT. The flat noddles was stir fired with a aromatic amount of garlic. In summary, the dish is a perfect combination of all the key ingredients

Oh I cant wait to tell you about Day Four...... coming soon.



The Guest Writer, Germaine Koh  - Although often mistaken for being a China-Doll, is in fact a Singaporean Chinese Female residing in Perth, Australia.She is a regular visitor to bestfbkl.blogspot.com. She is a food lover & constantly astounds everyone with the fact that although she is like an eating machine and can eat 6 full meals a day in 3 seatings, she remains slim and does not put on much weight.


Popular Posts - Last 7 days

Popular Posts - Last 30 days

Blog Archive

LIVE VISITOR TRAFFIC FEED